Directory of Aviation Museums and Exhibits by State
For those interested in vintage planes of the past, there are indeed lots of military DVDs, photographs, and commercial aviation books. But we find that the best way to understand aviation history is to see it up close and personal ... to see the planes, touch them, and sense their size and purpose.
Located across the United States are a number of aviation museums and exhibits which provide excellent historical aviation and warbird overviews.
Listed below is a partial list of museums ... there are many more to visit and explore!
Partial List of Aviation Museums in the U.S. Listed by State
List of United States Air Force Museums
In addition to its main museum in Dayton, the United States Air Force operates a number of excellent field units and heritage centers. We offer detailed reviews of several, as indicated below.
- National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio
- Hill Aerospace Museum - Hill AFB, Utah
- Museum of Aviation - Robins AFB, Georgia
- Air Force Armament Museum - Eglin AFB, Florida
- Global Power Museum - Barksdale AFB
National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio (Staff Photo)
- Air Force Space and Missile Museum - Cape Canaveral AFS, Florida
- Air Mobility Command Museum - Dover AFB, Delaware
- Peterson Air and Space Museum - Peterson AFB, Colorado
- South Dakota Air and Space Museum - Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
- USAF Security Forces Museum - Lackland AFB, Texas
- Warren ICBM and Heritage Museum - F.E. Warren AFB, Wyoming
- Malmstrom Museum - Malmstrom AFB, Montana
- Jimmy Doolittle Air and Space Museum - Travis AFB, California
- Enlisted Heritage Hall - Maxwell AFB, Alabama
- Heritage Center - Sheppard AFB, Texas
- Heritage Center - Keesler AFB, Mississippi
- Heritage Center - Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota
- McChord Heritage Center - McChord AFB, Washington
- USAF Airman Heritage Museum - Lackland AFB, Texas
List of United States Naval Museums
In addition to its museum at NAS Pensacola, the United States Navy operates a number of excellent units and heritage centers, listed below.
- National Museum of the U.S. Navy - Washington Navy Yard
- National Navy Aviation Museum - NAS Pensacola
- National Museum of the American Sailor - Great Lakes, Illinois
- Hampton Roads Naval Museum - Norfolk, Virginia
- U.S. Navy Seabee Museum - Port Hueneme, California
- Submarine Force Museum - Groton, Connecticut
- U.S. Naval Undersea Museum - Keyport, Washington
- Puget Sound Navy Museum - Bremerton, Washington
- Naval War College Museum - Newport, Rhode Island
- U.S. Naval Academy Museum - U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland
Exterior view of the National Navy Aviation Museum in Pensacola